The Full Moon Party on a stretch of beach at Koh Phangan Island in Thailand is on the bucket list of every backpacker. This party tales place on the full moon of every month and has only gotten bigger since the time it started in the 80s.
It is a big festival where travelers from different countries come together to enjoy with a lot of drinking and dancing. The party can get crazy and dangerous if you are not careful. Here are a few tips that will help you survive the full moon party making it an enjoyable experience:
– Book Accommodation in Advance – The hotels in and around the area fill up very fast during this time. It is advisable to book at least 4-5 days before the party as it is very difficult to find accommodation a day or two before the party. Even if you will be lucky to find a room at the last hour, be ready to pay twice or thrice the list price. Most places will need a minimum of four-night stay, so plan your stay accordingly.
– Avoid carrying anything valuable for the party – Theft is very common during such parties. Leave all your valuables in the hotel room itself and carry only the bare essential things including little money and the room keys. Avoid carrying things like passport, camera, cell phone, license and anything that you can’t afford to lose. Avoid wearing shoes to the party; either wear a normal slipper or a sandal with straps.
– Avoid Drugs – This remains one of the major concerns at a Full Moon Party. Not only are they expensive but illegal too. While you want to have some fun, you surely would not want to dig a hole in your pocket and get arrested.
– Stay out of the Water – Mixing swimming with alcohol is never a good idea. Avoid getting into the water as the waves can be rough and you might expose yourself to the risk of drowning. Also during party time people use the ocean as their personal toilet.
– Stay Hydrated – After hours of drinking and dancing, you may feel dehydrated. It is important to keep drinking water at regular intervals.